Roasted Red Pepper Soup – I’m starting off the new year with a very simple yet flavoursome soup. I think it was the zingy, bright colour that persuaded me to share this recipe. It’s been quite a drab day here today so some orangey red goodness seemed just the thing to lift my spirits.
Although I’ve given quantities below, don’t be too worried about the specifics. If you only have two peppers and an extra carrot, or one pepper is yellow go with that. The shade may change slightly but the principle is just the same. Don’t be too precious about your chopping either – it will all go in the blender.
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Suitable for Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free diets
- 3 large red peppers – deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli – deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 medium red onions – peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots – peeled and roughly chopped
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml passata
- Glug of rapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees C or 180 Fan.
- Plane your chopped peppers, chilli onion and carrots in a roasting tin, add a generous glug of rapeseed oil (about 2 tablespoons) to coat your veg.
- Place in the oven and roast for approximately 40 minutes ie until your veg is tender. I check after half an hour and then every five minutes if necessary.
- Place your roasting tin on the hob and add your stock and passata. Stir well so you get any nice crispy bits sticking to the tray. You can do this on a low heat to keep your flavours cooking through.
- Add your salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend until smooth. If the soup is too thick just add some water or stock to thin.
I served mine with a drizzle of horseradish cream – quite simply cream (Oatly vegan replacement) with a tiny bit of horseradish mixed though. Horseradish isn’t one of my favourite flavours but I do like a little with this soup. If you are doing this, just be as generous as you like with the horseradish. I just added some greenery for colour and went with rocket because I had some to hand. That was a good combo as using rocket keeps with the peppery theme.
One thought on “Roasted Red Pepper Soup”